Thursday, January 22, 2009

To wonder . . .

The world is full of wonder. As a child, I was so afraid of missing something that I would fall asleep standing up.  What is this, how is this, why is this, isn't that amazing, do you smell that, do you see that, how can that be, so much to experience, to feel, to know, and there seemed so little time.  Luckily for me I've discovered the secret journeys of dreams and no longer fear sleep; however, the awe and wonder remain.

Today we celebrate the birth of Francis Bacon (January 22, 1561 — April 9, 1626), British statesman, philosopher, essayist and oft listed as father of the modern scientific method.

"Enlightenment and a better world, Bacon insists, lie within our power; they require only the cooperation of learned citizens and the active developments of the arts and sciences." (source)

"For all knowledge and wonder (which is the seed of knowledge) is an impression of pleasure itself." - Francis Bacon

"Knowledge is power" - Francis Bacon

On that note, for all you knowledge loving power seekers, you may enjoy kartoo.com (a visual meta search engine), searchme.com and of course, the Internet Public Library

Go forth to wonder and plant the seeds of knowledge . . . enjoy!

2 comments:

pollicino said...

I have added your blog in my blogroll,welcome.Eugenio

J. Debra Emery said...

Eugenio, thanks for adding me to your blogroll.