Thursday, May 14, 2009

Meandering to and fro . . .

Today is the birthday Herbert W. Franke (born May 14, 1927), author and scientist. He is active in the fields of future research, speleology, computer graphics, digital art and a highly respected science fiction author.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." - Herbert W. Franke

"No matter how exotic human civilization becomes, no matter the developments of life and society nor the complexity of the machine/human interface, there always comes interludes of lonely power when the course of humankind, the very future of humankind, depends upon the relatively simple actions of single individuals." - Herbert W. Franke

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." - Herbert W. Franke

"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die." - Herbert W. Franke

"Wealth is a tool of freedom, but the pursuit of wealth is the way to slavery." - Herbert W. Franke

"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. " - Herbert W. Franke

Trivia bit:  He received his doctorate in theoretical physics in 1950 by writing a dissertation about electron optics. 

Franke image source (1)

No comments: