Sunday, May 31, 2009

Meandering to and fro . . .

A Birthday salute to Walter Whitman and Norman Vincent Peale.

Today is the birthday of Walter Whitman (May 31, 1819 – March 26, 1892), poet, essayist, journalist, and humanist. He is best known as Walt Whitman and is oft referred to as the father of free verse (although he did not invent it).

“Not I - not anyone else, can travel that road for you, / You must travel it for yourself.” - Walt Whitman

“Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.” - Walt Whitman

“A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books.” - Walt Whitman

"I celebrate myself, and sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good as belongs to you."
- Walt Whitman

“I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars.” - Walt Whitman

"Every moment of light and dark is a miracle." - Walt Whitman

"Be curious, not judgmental." - Walt Whitman

"The habit of giving only enhances the desire to give." - Walt Whitman

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman

*****

Today is the birthday of Norman Vincent Peale (May 31, 1898 – December 24, 1993), minister and author. He is best known for his book The Power of Positive Thinking and his belief in "positive thinking".

"Action is a great restorer and builder of confidence. Inaction is not only the result, but the cause, of fear. Perhaps the action you take will be successful; perhaps different action or adjustments will have to follow. But any action is better than no action at all." - Norman Vincent Peale

“Our happiness depends on the habit of mind we cultivate. So practice happy thinking every day. Cultivate the merry heart, develop the happiness habit, and life will become a continual feast.” - Norman Vincent Peale

"When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade." - Norman Vincent Peale

"We tend to get what we expect.” - Norman Vincent Peale

“Change your thoughts, and you change your world” - Norman Vincent Peale

“If you have zest and enthusiasm you attract zest and enthusiasm. Life does give back in kind.” - Norman Vincent Peale

Trivia bit: "Norman Vincent Peale wrote 46 books. 'The Power of Positive Thinking' published in 1952, remains his best work. Its record is staggering...20 million copies sold, New York Times bestseller list for 186 consecutive weeks and translated into 41 languages." direct quote source (1)

*****
Whitman image source (1)
Whitman stamp image source (
1)
Peale image source (1)

No comments: