Friday, August 21, 2009

Meandering around . . .

Today is the birthday of William "Count" Basie (August 21, 1904 – April 26, 1984), jazz pianist, organist, bandleader, and composer.

Count Basie is considered one of the most important jazz bandleaders of his time and led his popular Count Basie Orchestra for almost 50 years.

"It's the way you play that makes it . . . Play like you play. Play like you think, and then you got it, if you're going to get it. And whatever you get, that's you, so that's your story." - Count Basie

"Of course, there are a lot of ways you can treat the blues, but it will still be the blues." - Count Basie

"I decided that I would be one of the biggest new names; and I actually had some little fancy business cards printed up to announce it, Count Basie. Beware, the Count is Here."- Count Basie


"All I wanted was to be big, to be in show business and to travel... and that`s what I`ve been doing all my life." - Count Basie

Basie stamp source (1)

No comments: