Monday, August 24, 2009

Meandering in the stacks . . .

Today is the birthday of Jorge Francisco Isidoro Luis Borges Acevedo (August 24, 1899 – June 14, 1986), writer, poet and librarian. Best known as Jorges Luis Borges, his tales of fantasy and dreamworlds have universal themes that often make use of a circular labyrinth as a metaphor of life and/or as a riddle of time.

"Poetry always remembers that it was an oral art before it was a written art. It remembers that it was first song." - Jorges Luis Borges

"All things have been given to us for a purpose, and an artist must feel this more intensely. All that happens to us, including our humiliations, our misfortunes, our embarrassments, all is given to us as raw material, as clay, so that we may shape our art." - Jorges Luis Borges

"Time is the substance from which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger that devours me, but I am the tiger; it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire." - Jorges Luis Borges

"There is no act that is not the coronation of an infinite series of causes and the source of an infinite series of effects." - Jorges Luis Borges

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." - Jorges Luis Borges

Borges image source (1)

No comments: