Thursday, August 6, 2009

Meandering on . . .

Today is the birthday of Alfred Tennyson (August 6, 1809 – October 6, 1892), poet. He was the Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom and is considered one of the most popular poets in the English language.

"I hold it true, whatever befall; I feel it, when I sorrow most; tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Tennyson

"If thou shouldst never see my face again, pray for my soul. More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of." - Alfred Tennyson

"Dreams are true while they last, and do we not live in dreams?" - Alfred Tennyson

"I must lose myself in action, lest I wither in despair." - Alfred Tennyson"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Alfred Tennyson

"Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers." - Alfred Tennyson

"Tis not too late to seek a newer world." - Alfred Tennyson

"Trust me not at all, or all in all." - Alfred Tennyson

"I am a part of all that I have seen." - Alfred Tennyson

Trivia bit: He is the second most frequently quoted writer in The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, after Shakespeare.

Tennyson image source (1)
Tennyson stamp image source (1)

No comments: