Friday, September 4, 2009

Meandering around . . .

Today is the birthday of Richard Nathaniel Wright (September 4, 1908 – November 28, 1960), author. He is best known for his first novel Native Son (1940) and his autobiography Black Boy (1945).

"Men can starve from a lack of self-realization as much as they can from a lack of bread." - Richard Wright

"I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of hunger for life that gnaws in us all." - Richard Wright

"Violence is a personal necessity for the oppressed...It is not a strategy consciously devised. It is the deep, instinctive expression of a human being denied individuality." - Richard Wright

"It had been only through books-at best, no more than vicarious cultural transfusions-that I had managaed to keep myself alive in a negatively vital way. Whenever my environment had failed to support or nourish me, I had clutched at books..." - Richard Wright

Wright image source (1)
Wright stamp image source (1)

No comments: