Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Meandering in twilight . . .

Today is the birthday of John William "Trane" Coltrane (September 23, 1926 – July 17, 1967), jazz saxophonist and composer.

"All a musician can do is to get closer to the sources of nature, and so feel that he is in communion with the natural laws." - John Coltrane

"Over all, I think the main thing a musician would like to do is give a picture to the listener of the many wonderful things that he knows of and senses in the universe. . . That’s what I would like to do. I think that’s one of the greatest things you can do in life and we all try to do it in some way. The musician’s is through his music."- John Coltrane

"Sometimes I wish I could walk up to my music for the first time, as if I had never heard it before. Being so inescapably a part of it, I’ll never know what the listener gets, what the listener feels, and that’s too bad." - John Coltrane


"There is never any end. There are always new sounds to imagine; new feelings to get at. And always, there is the need to keep purifying these feelings and sounds so that we can really see what we've discovered in its pure state. So that we can see more and more clearly what we are. In that way, we can give to those who listen the essence, the best of what we are. But to do that at each stage, we have to keep on cleaning the mirror." - John Coltrane


"I’ve found you’ve got to look back at the old things and see them in a new light." - John Coltrane

Coltrane image source (1)
Coltrane stamp image source (
1)

No comments: