Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Magically meandering . . .

Today is the birthday of Charles de Lint (born December 22, 1951), author and Celtic folk musician.

"While you live ... you have a duty to life. ... The fey wonders of the world only exist while there are those with the sight to see them. ... Otherwise they fade away." - Charles de Lint

"I love this world ... That is what rules my life. When I die, I want to have done all in my power to leave it in a better state than it was in when I found it. At the same time I know that this can never be. The world has grown so complex that one voice can do little to alter it any longer. That doesn't stop me from doing what I can but it makes the task hard. The successes are so small, the failures so large and many. It's like trying to stem a storm with one's bare hands." - Charles de Lint

"That's the thing with magic. You've got to know it's still here, all around us, or it just stays invisible for you." - Charles de Lint

"When all's said and done, all roads lead to the same end. So it's not so much which road you take, as how you take it." - Charles de Lint

"It's the questions we ask, the journey we take to get to where we are going that is more important than the actual answer. It's good to have mysteries. It reminds us that there's more to the world than just making do and having a bit of fun." - Charles de Lint

"Without mysteries, life would be very dull indeed. What would be left to strive for if everything were known?" - Charles de Lint

Charles de Lint image source (1)

No comments: