Saturday, December 19, 2009

Meandering in flight . . .

Today is the birthday of Édith Giovanna Gassion (December 19, 1915 – October 10, 1963), singer. She is best known as Édith Piaf (the Little Sparrow) and is considered by many to be a cultural icon of France.

"All I've done all my life is disobey." - Édith Piaf

"For me, singing is a way of escaping. It's another world. I'm no longer on earth." - Édith Piaf

"I've always wanted to sing, just as I've always known that one day I would have my own niche in the annals of song. It was a feeling I had." - Édith Piaf

"No, I regret nothing... Neither the good nor the bad, It's all the same for me." - Édith Piaf


"For me, sleeping is a waste of time. I'm afraid to sleep. It's a form of death." - Édith Piaf

"Death is the beginning of something." - Édith Piaf

Trivia bit: As a small child she experienced blindness as the result of a virus. She allegedly recovered her sight after taken on a pilgrimage to the Shrine of Saint Therese de Lisieue in Paris.

Piaf stamp image source (1)

No comments: