Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Meandering in sound . . .

Today is the birthday of Maria Callas (December 2, 1923 – September 16, 1977) soprano and one of the most renowned opera singers of the twentieth century.

"Real friends are very special, but you have to be careful because sometimes you have a friend and you think they are made of rock, then suddenly you realise they're only made of sand." - Maria Callas

"An opera begins long before the curtain goes up and ends long after it has come down. It starts in my imagination, it becomes my life, and it stays part of my life long after I've left the opera house." - Maria Callas

"When music fails to agree to the ear, to soothe the ear and the heart and the senses, then it has missed the point." - Maria Callas

"I don't know what happens to me on stage. Something else seems to take over." - Maria Callas

"When my enemies stop hissing, I shall know I'm slipping." - Maria Callas

Callas stamp image source (1)

No comments: