Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Meandering in prose . . .

Today is the birthday of Carl Sandburg (January 6, 1878 – July 22, 1967), poet, historian, folklorist and novelist. He was the recipient of three Pulitzer Prizes, two for his poetry and another for a biography of Abraham Lincoln.

"Poetry is the opening and closing of a door, leaving those who look through to guess about what is seen during a moment." - Carl Sandburg

"Yesterday is done. Tomorrow never comes. Today is here. If you don't know what to do, sit still and listen. You may hear something. Nobody knows." - Carl Sandburg

"Back of every mistaken venture and defeat is the laughter of wisdom, if you listen." - Carl Sandburg

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." - Carl Sandburg

"I am an idealist. I believe in everything - I am only looking for proofs." - Carl Sandburg

"Sometime they'll give a war and nobody will come." - Carl Sandburg

"Nothing happens unless first we dream." - Carl Sandburg

Sandburg image source (1)

No comments: