Saturday, February 13, 2010

Meandering in the stacks . . .

Today is the birthday of Georges Joseph Christian Simenon (February 13, 1903 – September 4, 1989), writer. Georges Simenon is best known for the creation of the fictional detective Maigret.

"I adore life but I don't fear death. I just prefer to die as late as possible." - Georges Simenon

"The fact that we are I don't know how many millions of people, yet communication, complete communication, is completely impossible between two of those people, is to me one of the biggest tragic themes in the world." - Georges Simenon

"Writing is not a profession, but a vocation of unhappiness." - Georges Simenon


"Truth never seems true. I don't mean only in literature or in painting. I won't remind you either of those Doric columns whose lines seem to us strictly perpendicular and which only give that impression because they are slightly curved. If they were straight, they'd look as if they were swelling, don't you see?" - Georges Simenon

Simenon image source (1)
Simenon stamp image source (1)

No comments: