Monday, February 8, 2010

Meandering in thought . . .

Today is the birthday of Martin Buber (February 8, 1878 – June 13, 1965), philosopher, theologian, story-teller, and teacher.

"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." - Martin Buber

"There are three principles in a man's being and life, the principle of thought, the principle of speech, and the principle of action. The origin of all conflict between me and my fellow-men is that I do not say what I mean and I don't do what I say." - Martin Buber

"I do not accept any absolute formulas for living. No preconceived code can see ahead to everything that can happen in a man's life. As we live, we grow and our beliefs change. They must change. So I think we should live with this constant discovery. We should be open to this adventure in heightened awareness of living. We should stake our whole existence on our willingness to explore and experience." - Martin Buber

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for." - Martin Buber


"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." - Martin Buber

"The world is not comprehensible, but it is embraceable: through the embracing of one of its beings." - Martin Buber

"Play is the exultation of the possible." - Martin Buber

Buber image source (1)
Buber stamp image source (1)

No comments: