Monday, May 31, 2010

Meander with me . . .

Today is the birthday of Walter Whitman (May 31, 1819 – March 26, 1892), poet, essayist, journalist, and humanist. He is best known for his poetry collection entitled Leaves of Grass (1855), which was occasionally banned, and and especially two of the poems in the collection: I Sing the Body Electric and Song of Myself.

"A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books." - Walt Whitman

"It is a beautiful truth that all men contain something of the artist in them. And perhaps it is the case that the greatest artists live and die, the world and themselves alike ignorant what they possess." - Walt Whitman

"After you have exhausted what there is in business, politics, conviviality, and so on - have found that none of these finally satisfy, or permanently wear - what remains? Nature remains." - Walt Whitman

"Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you." - Walt Whitman

"Henceforth I ask not good fortune. I myself am good fortune." - Walt Whitman

"Be curious, not judgmental." - Walt Whitman

Whitman image source (1)

No comments: