Saturday, May 1, 2010

Meandering in the stacks . . .

Today is the birthday of Joseph Addison (May 1, 1672 – June 17, 1719), essayist, poet, playwright and politician.

"Cheerfulness is the best promoter of health and is as friendly to the mind as to the body." - Joseph Addison

"I have somewhere met with the epitaph on a charitable man which has pleased me very much. I cannot recollect the words, but here is the sense of it: What I spent I lost; what I possessed is left to others; what I gave away remains with me." - Joseph Addison

"Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for." - Joseph Addison

"A contented mind is the greatest blessing a man can enjoy in this world." - Joseph Addison

"A man should always consider how much he has more than he wants." - Joseph Addison

"I value my garden more for being full of blackbirds than of cherries, and very frankly give them fruit for their songs." - Joseph Addison

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." - Joseph Addison

"Suspicion is not less an enemy to virtue than to happiness; he that is already corrupt is naturally suspicious, and he that becomes suspicious will quickly be corrupt." - Joseph Addison

"The utmost extent of man's knowledge, is to know that he knows nothing." - Joseph Addison

Addison image source (1)

No comments: