Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Meandering in thought . . .

Today is the birthday of Søren Åbye Kierkegård (May 5, 1813 – November 11, 1855), philosopher, theologian, and psychologist. He is oft referred to as the Father of Existentialism.

"Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom." - Søren Kierkegaard

"Face the facts of being what you are, for that is what changes what you are." - Søren Kierkegaard

"One sticks one’s finger into the soil to tell by the smell in what land one is: I stick my finger in existence — it smells of nothing. Where am I? Who am I? How came I here? What is this thing called the world? What does this world mean? Who is it that has lured me into the world? Why was I not consulted, why not made acquainted with its manners and customs instead of throwing me into the ranks, as if I had been bought by a kidnapper, a dealer in souls? How did I obtain an interest in this big enterprise they call reality? Why should I have an interest in it? Is it not a voluntary concern? And if I am to be compelled to take part in it, where is the director? I should like to make a remark to him. Is there no director? Whither shall I turn with my complaint?" - Søren Kierkegaard

"Boredom is the root of all evil - the despairing refusal to be oneself." - Søren Kierkegaard

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Søren Kierkegaard

"Life has its own hidden forces which you can only discover by living." - Søren Kierkegaard

"I must find a truth that is true for me." - Søren Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard image source (1)

No comments: