Friday, July 9, 2010

Meander with me . . .

Today is the birthday of Mervyn Laurence Peake (July 9, 1911 – November 17, 1968), writer, artist, poet and illustrator. He is best known for the Gormenghast trilogy.

"Lingering is so very lonely when one lingers all alone." - Mervyn Peake

"Why break the heart that never beat from love?" - Mervyn Peake

"As I see it, life is an effort to grip before they slip through one's fingers and slide into oblivion, the startling, the ghastly or the blindingly exquisite fish of the imagination before they whip away on the endless current and are lost for ever in oblivion's black ocean." - Mervyn Peake

"Each day I live in a glass room unless I break it with the thrusting of my senses and pass through the splintered walls to the great landscape." - Mervyn Peake

"For death is life. It is only living that is lifeless." - Mervyn Peake

"To live at all is miracle enough." - Mervyn Peake

Peake image source (1)

No comments: