Saturday, August 21, 2010

Meandering . . .

Today is the birthday of Aubrey Vincent Beardsley (August 21, 1872 – March 16, 1898), illustrator and author.

Despite the brevity of his career, before his early death at the age of 25, Aubrey Beardsley was a leading figure in the Aesthetic Movement, which also included Oscar Wilde and James A. McNeill Whistler.

"All humanity inspires me. Every passer-by is my unconscious sitter; and as strange as it may seem, I really draw folk as I see them. Surely it is not my fault that they fall into certain lines and angles." - Aubrey Beardsley

"I have always done my sketches, as people would say, for the fun of it... I have worked to amuse myself, and if it has amused the public as well, so much the better for me." - Aubrey Beardsley

"Things shape themselves before my eyes just as a I draw them." - Aubrey Beardsley

Beardsley image source (1)

No comments: