Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Meandering around . . .

Today is the birthday of Miguel de Unamuno y Jugo (September 29, 1864 – December 31, 1936), essayist, novelist, poet, playwright and philosopher.

"It is sad not to be loved, but it is much sadder not to be able to love."
- Miguel de Unamuno

"I am dreaming ...? Let me dream, if this dream is my life. Do not awaken me from it. I believe in the immortal origin of this yearning for immortality, which is the very substance of my soul. But do I really believe in it ...? And wherefore do you want to be immortal? you ask me, wherefore? Frankly, I do not understand the question, for it is to ask the reason of the reason, the end of the end, the principle of the principle."
- Miguel de Unamuno

"All of this that is happening to me, and happening to others about me, is it reality or is it fiction? May not all of it perhaps be a dream of God, or of whomever it may be, which will vanish as soon as He wakes?"
- Miguel de Unamuno

"The skeptic does not mean him who doubts, but him who investigates or researches, as opposed to him who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about."
- Miguel de Unamuno

"The devil is an angel too."
- Miguel de Unamuno

"Some people will believe anything if you whisper it to them."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Miguel de Unamuno image source (1)

No comments: