Thursday, November 11, 2010

Meandering in the stacks . . .

Today is the birthday of Thomas Bailey Aldrich (November 11, 1836 – March 19, 1907), poet, novelist, traveler and editor.

"A man is known by the company his mind keeps."
- Thomas Bailey Aldrich

"All the best sands of my life are somehow getting into the wrong end of the hourglass. If I could only reverse it! Were it in my power to do so, would I?"
- Thomas Bailey Aldrich

"I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
- Thomas Bailey Aldrich

"To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent - that is to triumph over old age."
- Thomas Bailey Aldrich

"True art selects and paraphrases, but seldom gives a verbatim translation."
- Thomas Bailey Aldrich

Aldrich image source (1)

No comments: