Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Magically meandering . . .

Today is the birthday of Charles de Lint (born December 22, 1951), fantasy author and Celtic folk musician.

"While you live . . . you have a duty to life . . . The fey wonders of the world only exist while there are those with the sight to see them.. . . Otherwise they fade away."
- Charles de Lint

"I love this world ... That is what rules my life. When I die, I want to have done all in my power to leave it in a better state than it was in when I found it. At the same time I know that this can never be. The world has grown so complex that one voice can do little to alter it any longer. That doesn't stop me from doing what I can but it makes the task hard. The successes are so small, the failures so large and many. It's like trying to stem a storm with one's bare hands."
- Charles de Lint

"A long time ago a bunch of people reached a general consensus as to what's real and what's not and most of us have been going along with it ever since."
- Charles de Lint

"It's the questions we ask, the journey we take to get to where we are going that is more important than the actual answer."
- Charles de Lint

"The thing with pretending you're in a good mood is that sometimes you can actually trick yourself into feeling better."
- Charles de Lint

"That's the thing with magic. You've got to know it's still here, all around us, or it just stays invisible for you."
- Charles de Lint

"Without mysteries, life would be very dull indeed. What would be left to strive for if everything were known?"
- Charles de Lint

"I want to touch the heart of the world and make it smile."
- Charles de Lint

Charles de Lint image source (1)

No comments: