Sunday, December 19, 2010

Meandering freely . . .

Today is the birthday of Édith Giovanna Gassion (19 December 1915 – 11 October 1963), singer and cultural icon. She is best known as Édith Piaf and is one of France's most beloved singers.

"All I've done all my life is disobey." - Édith Piaf

"For me, singing is a way of escaping. It's another world. I'm no longer on earth."
- Edith Piaf

"I've always wanted to sing, just as I've always known that one day I would have my own niche in the annals of song. It was a feeling I had."
- Edith Piaf

"I want to make people cry even when they don't understand my words."
- Edith Piaf


"No, I regret nothing . . . neither the good or the bad. It's all the same to me."
- Edith Piaf



Trivia bit: As a small child she experienced blindness as the result of a virus. She allegedly recovered her sight after taken on a pilgrimage to the Shrine of Saint Therese de Lisieue in Paris.

Piaf image source (1)

No comments: