Thursday, January 27, 2011

Meandering in the stacks . . .

Today is the birthday of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (January 27, 1832 – 14 January 14, 1898), author, mathematician, logician, Anglican deacon and photographer. He is best known by his pen name Lewis Carroll and for his books, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
Lewis Carroll

"Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
Lewis Carroll

"If you set to work to believe everything, you will tire out the believing-muscles of your mind, and then you'll be so weak you won't be able to believe the simplest true things."
Lewis Carroll

"One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth the doing is what we do for others"
Lewis Carroll

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."
Lewis Carroll

"If you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you. Is that a bargain?"
Lewis Carroll

Carroll image source (1)


No comments: