Thursday, February 10, 2011

Meandering here and there . . .

Today is the birthday of Charles Lamb (February 10, 1775- 27 July 1834), essayist. He is best known for the essays he wrote under the name Elia.

"The greatest pleasure I know is to do a good action by stealth, and to have it found out by accident."
Charles Lamb

"A book reads the better which is our own, and has been so long known to us, that we know the topography of its blots, and dog's ears, and can trace the dirt in it to having read it at tea with buttered muffins."
Charles Lamb

"I love to lose myself in other men's minds. When I am not walking, I am reading."
Charles Lamb

"I always arrive late at the office, but I make up for it by leaving early."
Charles Lamb

"Not many sounds in life, and I include all urban and all rural sounds, exceed in interest a knock at the door."
Charles Lamb

Lamb image source (1)

No comments: