Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Meandering in the stacks . . .

Today is the birthday of Martin Buber (February 8, 1878 – June 13, 1965), philosopher.

"Play is the exultation of the possible."
Martin Buber

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language."
Martin Buber

"This is the eternal origin of art that a human being confronts a form that wants to become a work through him. Not a figment of his soul but something that appears to the soul and demands the soul's creative power. What is required is a deed that a man does with his whole being . . ."
Martin Buber

"There are three principles in a man's being and life: The principle of thought, the principle of speech, and the principle of action. The origin of all conflict between me and my fellow-men is that I do not say what I mean and I don't do what I say."
Martin Buber

"The world is not comprehensible, but it is embraceable: through the embracing of one of its beings."
Martin Buber

"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."
Martin Buber

Buber image source (1)

No comments: