Monday, March 1, 2010

Meandering in the stacks . . .

Today is the birthday of Ralph Waldo Ellison (March 1, 1913 – April 16, 1994), scholar and writer. In 1953, he won the National Book Award for his novel Invisible Man.

"When I discover who I am, I'll be free." - Ralph Ellison

"The understanding of art depends finally upon one's willingness to extend one's humanity and one's knowledge of human life." - Ralph Ellison

"I am an invisible man. I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber and liquids - and I might even be said to possess a mind. I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me." - Ralph Ellison

"There must be possible a fiction which, leaving sociology and case histories to the scientists, can arrive at the truth about the human condition, here and now, with all the bright magic of the fairy tale." - Ralph Ellison

"If the word has the potency to revive and make us free, it has also the power to blind, imprison, and destroy." - Ralph Ellison

"Life is to be lived, not controlled, and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat." - Ralph Ellison

Ellison image source (1)

No comments: