Friday, July 30, 2010

Meandering in the stacks . . .

Today is the birthday of Emily Jane Brontë (July 30, 1818 – December 19, 1848), novelist and poet. She is best known for her novel Wuthering Heights. She published under the pen name Ellis Bell.

"A person who has not done one half his day's work by ten o clock, runs a chance of leaving the other half undone." - Emily Brontë

"I cannot express it: but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is, or should be, an existence of yours beyond you." - Emily Brontë

"I have dreamed in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they have gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind." - Emily Brontë

"Having leveled my palace, don't erect a hovel and complacently admire your own charity in giving me that for a home." - Emily Brontë

"I'll walk where my own nature would be leading: It vexes me to choose another guide." - Emily Brontë

Brontë image source (1)

No comments: