Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Meandering in thought . . .

Today is the birthday of Erich Seligmann Fromm (March 23, 1900 – March 18, 1980), social psychologist, psychoanalyst, and humanistic philosopher.

"Not he who has much is rich, but he who gives much."
— Erich Fromm

"Alienation as we find it in modern society is almost total… Man has created a world of man-made things as it never existed before. He has constructed a complicated social machine to administer the technical machine he built. The more powerful and gigantic the forces are which he unleashes, the more powerless he feels himself as a human being. He is owned by his creations, and has lost ownership of himself."
— Erich Fromm

". . . freedom to create and construct, to wonder and to venture. Such freedom requires that the individual be active and responsible, not a slave or a well-fed cog in the machine . . . It is not enough that men are not slaves; if social conditions further the existence of automatons, the result will not be love of life, but love of death."
— Erich Fromm

"Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says 'I need you because I love you."
— Erich Fromm

"The only truly affluent are those who do not want more than they have."
— Erich Fromm

Fromm image source (1)

No comments: