Friday, April 2, 2010

Meandering in the stacks . . .

Today is the birthday of Émile François Zola (April 2, 1840 – September 29, 1902), journalist, novelist, and critic. He is oft referred to as the founder of the Naturalist movement in literature.

"If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: I am here to live out loud!" - Émile Zola

"If you shut up truth and bury it under the ground, it will but grow, and gather to itself such explosive power that the day it bursts through it will blow up everything in its way." - Émile Zola

"I have but one passion.. to enlighten those who have been kept in the dark, in the name of humanity which has suffered so much and is entitled to happiness. My fiery protest is simply the cry of my very soul." - Émile Zola

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work." - Émile Zola

"Everything is only a dream." - Émile Zola

Zola image source (1)

No comments: