Sunday, June 20, 2010

Meandering, we meander on . . .

Today is the birthday of Lillian Florence Hellman (June 20, 1905 – June 30, 1984), playwright.

"For every man who lives without freedom, the rest of us must face the guilt." - Lillian Hellman

"To hurt innocent people whom I knew many years ago in order to save myself is, to me, inhuman and indecent and dishonorable. I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions, even though I long ago came to the conclusion that I was not a political person and could have no comfortable place in any political group." - Lillian Hellman

"Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth." - Lillian Hellman

"It is a mark of many famous people that they cannot part with their finest hour." - Lillian Hellman

"Since when do you have to agree with people to defend them from injustice?" - Lillian Hellman

"People change and forget to tell each other." - Lillian Hellman

Hellman image source (1)

No comments: