Monday, June 21, 2010

Meandering while we wander . . .

Today is the birthday of Jean-Paul Charles Aymard Sartre (June 21, 1905 – April 15, 1980), novelist, playwright, existentialist philosopher and literary critic.

In October 1964, Jean-Paul Sartre was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature; however, he declined it. He was the first Nobel Laureate to voluntarily decline the prize. Jean-Paul Sartre had previously refused the Légion d'honneur, in 1945.

"All that I know about my life, it seems, I have learned in books." - Jean-Paul Sartre

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives." - Jean-Paul Sartre

"As far as men go, it is not what they are that interests me, but what they can become." - Jean-Paul Sartre

"I cannot make liberty my aim unless I make that of others equally my aim." - Jean-Paul Sartre

"Words are more treacherous and powerful than we think." - Jean-Paul Sartre

"Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat." - Jean-Paul Sartre

Sartre image source (1)

No comments: