Monday, February 28, 2011

Que sais-je? . . .

Today is the birthday of Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (February 28, 1533 – September 13, 1592), scholar and essayist. He is oft referred to as one of the most influential writers of the French Renaissance.

"I do not care so much what I am to others as I care what I am to myself."
Michel de Montaigne

"Wherever your life ends, it is all there. The advantage of living is not measured by length, but by use; some men have lived long, and lived little; attend to it while you are in it. It lies in your will, not in the number of years, for you to have lived enough."
Michel de Montaigne

"Learned we may be with another man's learning: we can only be wise with wisdom of our own."
Michel de Montaigne

"Even on the highest throne in the world, we are still sitting on our ass."
Michel de Montaigne

"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears."
Michel de Montaigne

"I know well what I am fleeing from but not what I am in search of."
Michel de Montaigne

"Saying is one thing and doing is another"
Michel de Montaigne

"Que sais-je?" ("What do I know?")
Michel de Montaigne

Michel de Montaigne image source (1)

No comments: