Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Meandering along the way . . .

Today is the birthday of Ralph Waldo Ellison (March 1, 1914 – April 16, 1994), novelist, literary critic, scholar and writer. He is best known for his novel Invisible Man.

"The world is a possibility if only you'll discover it."
Ralph Ellison

"It goes a long way back, some twenty years. All my life I had been looking for something, and everywhere I turned someone tried to tell me what it was. I accepted their answers too, though they were often in contradiction and even self-contradictory. I was naive. I was looking for myself and asking everyone except myself questions which I, and only I, could answer. It took me a long time and much painful boomeranging of my expectations to achieve a realization everyone else appears to have been born with: That I am nobody but myself. But first I had to discover that I am an invisible man!"
Ralph Ellison

"I am an invisible man. 
No I am not a spook like those who haunted Edgar Allen Poe: 
Nor am I one of your Hollywood movie ectoplasms.
I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber and liquids
- and I might even be said to possess a mind. 
I am invisible, simply because people refuse to see me."
Ralph Ellison

"I remember that I'm invisible and walk softly so as not awake the sleeping ones. Sometimes it is best not to awaken them; there are few things in the world as dangerous as sleepwalkers."
Ralph Ellison

"And I knew that it was better to live out one's absurdity than to die for that of others."
Ralph Ellison

"When I discover who I am, I’ll be free."
Ralph Ellison

Ellison image source (1)

No comments: